My Letter

Who introduced you to Christ? Does a person or perhaps a few people come to mind when you think about those who influenced you in this major life choice?

Recently our church did an evangelistic sermon series, and they encouraged the members of the church to sit down and write letters to the people who introduced them to Jesus Christ.

I want to share my letter with you –

Dear Miss Alice,

It was 1995, and you were an English teacher at my high school who passionately taught British English to the Afrikaner Boertjies. (I grew up in South Africa and English was my second language as an Afrikaner).

Your class was fun and interesting. You taught us more than just English. You had lived in Russia over the last few years and had so much to share…

You told me about your life in Russia and how you were searching for something to fill the void in you. I understood those emotions. You told me how you went searching one night in Moscow and miraculously found your friend’s apartment where she introduced you to your Savior. You told the story with so much passion and peace. I realized I wanted to have what you had – passion and peace for something or Someone that was true and right.

You knew I grew up in the church. You knew the church’s history and how apartheid had taught our generation lies since we were little. You knew that religion and racism went hand-in-hand in my school, in my community, and in many of your students’ homes. It could not have been easy for you to ask me about my feelings towards black people. I did not really know what to think myself… I do know I was confused during those early years after the ‘94 elections when the government went through major legislative changes...

Jesus changed your life in a God-forsaken country, and I remember thinking to myself how awesome it must have felt – the God of the universe sought you out and found you and made you His.

You spent time with me and answered all my questions.

One day you asked if I would be willing to give up my Winter Vacation (3 weeks in June) to go on an outreach (missions trip) to a remote area close to Johannesburg! I felt honored but scared. How could a white Afrikaner make a difference in a rural community? You told me that we are never too young to tell people about Jesus.

I attended LSA (Love Southern Africa) ‘95, and that outreach to Manarandt changed my life. I saw people being transformed because of my God. I would never be the same after those 3 weeks!

You showed me how to fast with focus and how to pray diligently for the lost 10/40 Window in Africa. You gave me a passion for the truth and a passion to find the people beneath their colored skin. You introduced me to our Lord and helped me discover my passion for missions.

I’m thankful you took time, Alice. I’m thankful you did not give up on my rebellious teenager mentality. I thank the Lord that in 1995 you came along and changed my life!

I’m forever thankful.

Your friend and student,

Jani



Draw Near to God
Be still.
Think back to that person or those people who influenced you. Thank the Lord for their influence in your life, and write them a letter (even if they are no longer alive). Try to get it in their hands if possible.

Comments

Popular Posts