Learning to SHARE, in SOUTH AFRICA

Our country has experienced a growth spur the last few years, everywhere you look the little old farms are being changed into housing developments… There used to live one family and cows, now there lives 200 families with at least one car.

This growth has been good but it is teaching us to SHARE in more than one way… The biggest lesson we are all learning is to share POWER (electricity).

Our country doesn’t have enough POWER for everyone, this might sound funny, it did to me in the beginning but it is TRUTH. They (Eskom, our electricity company in South Africa) call it LOAD SHEDDING. This might continue till 2013 till they have enough POWER saved up again.

‘Luckily’ Pep’s Central Office, where I work has a generator. Every Wednesday afternoon (according to the load shedding schedule) for a couple of hours we have dark hallways and no coffee at lunch time. But at least we can work…

On Thursdays from 8am-10am we have no power at our apartment, ‘luckily’ we are at work during that time.

LEARNING (forced) to SHARE in this beautiful country, full of its own corky problems (like all countries have).

Comments

Jani & Martin, sounds like many adventures are underway for you both! A friend and I were joking last week about the U.S. forcing us to have rolling blackouts--like old Romania. I had no idea any of my friends were actually dealing with it NOW!
Paul & I think of you often and miss you lots. Dudley too!
Love and blessings,
Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Popular Posts